Baja California's Premier

Spanish Language School

Ensenada, Mexico

New Document Regulations for Re-entering US from Mexico

Ensenada, BC, Mexico – February 11, 2008 -In years past, re-entry into the United States from Mexico was extremely simple. Technically, one only needed to verbally declare their citizenship to a US border agent to be allowed into the United States.

As of January 31, 2008 all US and Canadian citizens must present either a passport or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.

"For the safety of the American people, the United States cannot have an honor system at the border," said Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff. "Requiring secure and reliable documentation at our borders will drastically reduce security vulnerabilities posed by permitting entry based on oral declarations alone. As travelers become accustomed to carrying documents to cross the border, and as we move to more stringent documentation requirements, our border officers will be able to more quickly and confidently identify cross-border travelers."

For complete information on travel between the United States and Mexico visit the website for the US Department of Homeland Security.

Baja California Spanish Language School - Offering Spanish Immersion Programs

© 2022 Baja California Language College (Ensenada, Mexico). All rights reserved. Privacy Policy.

Plaudit Design, Minneapolis Web Design. Photos by Jerry Snow Photography - All Rights Reserved.